Largo da Graça
After six months of restoration work, the Convent of Graça - which was the largest convent in the Iberian Peninsula - recovered its splendor, revealing to the public an important national heritage. It is possible from now on to visit the old hall and Chapel, the Chapter Room and one of the most beautiful cloisters of the city.
From the Order of St. Augustine, the Convent of Graça began to be built in 1271, and is located in the old place known as "Almofala", where D. Afonso Henriques camped with his troops during the siege of Lisbon.
The intervention, with an investment of 420 thousand euros, was carried out under the protocol between the Lisbon Municipal Council, the Parish Factory of the Parish of Santo André-Graça and the Royal Brotherhood of Santa Cruz and Passos da Graça. The idea was to create A new public path in Grace, with patrimonial, architectural and cultural value, inside the old convent that is classified as National Monument.
The entrance will be made by Miradouro Sophia de Mello Breyner, near the entrance of the Church of Our Lady of Grace.
Until 1 October, visitors will also be able to see "Corpus Cristi, the procession of Corpus Christi by Diamantino Tojal", an exhibition of 1587 miniatures, in unmade clay, conceived and molded by hand, between 1944 and 1948, by businessman Diamantino Tojal, who portrays the Corpus Christi procession as it would have been in the 18th century. The pieces, which have documentary value and are a contribution to the representation of Lisbon customs and traditions, are part of the collection of the Lisbon Museum.
Photos: Creative Commons and CML