Rua 1º de Dezembro1200-155 Lisboa
The Rossio Station was commissioned in 1886 by the Royal Company of the Portuguese Railways to the architect José Luís Monteiro and built by a Belgian company, alongside with the railway tunnel and the road linking Calçada do Carmo to the neighboring Hotel Avenida Palace. A striking monument between Rossio Square and Restauradores with in Neo-Manueline facade, it followed the model of the major European stations, with the zone of platforms covered by a big iron dome, supported by a columns structure. It was for many years Lisbon’s central station and national and international train terminal. Today only serves the line of Sintra, being directly connected to the underground. It has been recently subjected to structural and functional rehabilitation with the facades recovering its splendor and offering a new retail and catering space.