Praça do Município
In addition to the architectural and artistic value of the building, the seat of the Municipality is a symbol of Lisbon and the liberal and republican Portugal. It was on the balcony of the Town Hall that on 5 October 1910, the Republic was proclaimed. The original building was made according to a project Eugénio dos Santos Carvalho, when the Marquis of Pombal was rebuilding Lisbon, but it was completely destroyed by fire on 19 November 1863. The current building was erected in the same place, from 1865 to 1880, according to the drawings of the architect Domingues Parente da Silva. On November 7, 1996, another fire destroyed part of the upper floors, especially the ceilings and paintings, but was quickly restored according to the original drawings. The facade, designed by Ressano Garcia, is topped by a triangular pediment, of neoclassical inspiration, with sculptural decoration flanking the arms of the city of the French Anatole Calmels, representing Freedom and Motherland Love. Inside it is worth noting the intervention of the architect José Luís Monteiro and paintings by Columbano Bordallo Pinheiro, José Malhoa and José Pereira Júnior, to be seen in the Central Steps, Main Hall, Hall of the Republic or the Golden Hall. The City Hall of Lisbon and the Town Hall Square (where the Pillory of Lisbon stands, a National Monument) welcome with some regularity cultural events such as exhibitions and concerts.