Rua das Portas de Santo Antão, 1001169-208 Lisboa
This institution was founded in 1875 upon the initiative of the historian and geographer Luciano Cordeiro. Since 1897 it occupies a five-storey building specially designed by José Luís Monteiro, then architect of the Lisbon Municipality, and was inaugurated on the occasion of the 400th anniversary of the Discovery of the sea route to India. The building, adjacent to the Lisbon Coliseum, hosts an ethnographic museum and an important library - with more than 60,000 works, numerous magazines and about six thousand handwritten documents considered fundamental to the study of the Discoveries and the Africa exploration trips. Among other documents, they keep the travel diaries of Hermenegildo Capelo, Roberto Ivens, Silva Porto and Gago Coutinho.