Praça D. Pedro IV (Rossio)1100-201 Lisboa
Built on the site where once stood the seat of the Inquisition (destroyed by fire in 1836), the National Theatre was inaugurated on April 13, 1846, during the celebrations of the 27th anniversary of Queen D. Maria II (1819- 1853), that gave the theatre its official name. During most of its history it was managed by companies of artists who, by tender, applied to its management. This was the case of the company Rosas & Brasão, between 1881 and 1898, that during that period brought to the Portuguese stages the first Shakespeare plays. After the establishment of the Republic, it was briefly renamed National Theatre Almeida Garrett. Under the management Amelia Rey Colaço / Robles Monteiro, who managed the theatre between 1929 and 1964, it suffered a devastating fire that destroyed the entire interior. These and other stories are what you’ll hear on the guided tour through the historical and artistic heritage of the National Theatre D. Maria II and through the various areas of this National Monument, including the possibility to visit the dressing rooms, technical areas, costumes atelier and props. Besides the majestic Garrett room, there is has a smaller room and a great hall, also converted into a theatre-studio.
Meanwhile, it is worth remembering that TNDM II celebrates this year its 170th anniversary!